Spartanburg Soaring! International Kite Festival
Come Play With Us!
WHAT IS SPARTANBURG SOARING!?
In Spring 2014, Chapman Cultural Center launched a community-wide initiatve called Spartanburg Soaring! to build civic pride. Using kites as a common theme, Spartanburg Soaring! engaged cultural curiosity and promoted active play through activities and events all across the city. Those activities and events inspired playfulness across generations while encouraging collaboration and building civic pride.
WHEN IS THE FESTIVAL THIS YEAR?
The festival will fly even higher than last year in 2015 when kites take the sky on Saturday, March 21, 12-5 p.m. In case of inclement weather, the rain date is Sunday, March 22, 1-4 p.m.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT WHEN I GET THERE?
- WELL-BEING. Partnering with Spartanburg's Way to Wellville, you can expect the same active play and kite-flying as last year with the addition of other healthy activities! Build up your Spartanburg pride and exercise your "fun muscles." Flying a kite is a proven method of increasing health and wellness by engaging with the beauty of nature, exercising, socializing, and being mindful of your surroundings.
- FOOD. Organic shaved ice, chocolate mousse, vegetarian fares, bbq, and other healthy foods will keep your stomach as happy as your heart. This year's vendors are KBBQ, The Nomadic Few, Bruster's Real Ice Cream, Taste and See, and Kesha's Food Truck. (And if you're not into ice cream that day, there will be hot chocolate and coffee!)
- MUSIC. Wenzler Butler's New Orleans-style jazz band The Rockers and Tom Crabtree's Rock & Roll Reunion will perform on an outdoor stage, so be ready for great music to put you on Cloud 9.
- ART. Another of Spartanburg's great assets is its visual artists. An ArtMarket will be set up in Barnet Park where regional artisans will sell their wares--keeping 100% of their profits--so you can keep a piece of local culture even after you fly away. Everything will be affordable and locally handcrafted. Participating will be Studio Crimson*, LABweorc*, Roundhouse Pottery*, Conscious Art Studios*, Soap Deli, Sculptin, Little Brit Boy Boutique, McRose Designs*, Quality Time on the Travelers*, Wreaths Galore, B. Owens Photography, Abee Advertising*, Little Nibble, Who Doo Arts*, M Jeter Designs, Miss Bee Haven Honey, 4 Elizabeth*, and Doodles by Betsey. Art vendors marked with an * will be demonstrating their craft!
- KITES. Professional kitefliers will be in attendance with jaw-dropping aerial displays. The newly established Spartanburg Soaring! Kite Club will be on hand, lead by master kite maker and local enthusiast Chuck Holmes whose extensive collection was the inspiration for Spartanburg Soaring! in the first place! Anyone who flies will be eligible for kite-flying awards like Prettiest Kite, Highest Flyer, Longest Fly, and more! Kites will be for sale, but feel free to bring your own, too. We'll even have a repair station in case things get too blustery. You never know what else you'll find at the Spartanburg Soaring! International Kite Festival this year. Come play with us!
AWESOME! HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
Spartanburg Soaring! International Kite Festival is a representation of all people and cultures, looking toward the sky in awe of our community. Anyone can get involved. Those who wish to volunteer, please contact Janice Carpenter at (864) 542-ARTS x243 or jCarpenter@SpartanArts.org. Those who wish to provide a sponsorship or partnership opportunity, please contact Karen Parrott at (864) 278-9690 or kParrott@SpartanArts.org.